Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Kevin's Countdown to Lost Season 6 Premiere: Top #15 Favorite Episodes #14


The Man from Tallahassee. To many, Lost season 1 was the strongest, season 2 expanded the mythology of the island, season 3 was okay, season 4 was thrilling, and season 5 was confusing. To me, season 1 was spectacular, season 2 was revealing as well as spectacular, season 3 sucked for half and then was awesome, season 4 was the best season yet, and season 5 finally started giving us real, concrete answers, skewed though they are.

I bring this all up mainly for season 3. It was the season during the writer's strike and thus suffered because of it. The story stalled because of the strike but also because the writers didn't know how long the show would go on for. After the strike, they said it would be 6 seasons and then season 3 picked up. It picked up so much that it is some of the best material Lost has ever produced and will make my countdown. But one of the early gems in all the chaos, was The Man From Tallahassee. In a season full of questions upon questions we were given an answer that was so blatantly in our face but none of us saw it coming.

This episode makes the list just because of that. The confrontation between Sawyer with the man who was responsible for the death of his parents who just so happened to be Locke's father. It was something I never thought we would get an answer to (who is the real Sawyer) and yet it was so obvious. And it was a huge stepping stone for Sawyer who has since become more of the hero than the villain. I'll never forget the moment that Sawyer found out and then strangled Locke's father. I don't think I've ever had the rug taken out from underneath of me like that and that's what I love about Lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment