Wednesday, May 21, 2014

CHARLIE DAY'S BRILLIANT AND EMPOWERING COMMENCEMENT SPEECH

FX's It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia via giphy.com

Charlie Day, famous for playing Charlie on FX's successful comedy series It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, recently gave a commencement speech at his alma mater, Merrimack College.

It is the best commencement speech I've ever heard, and proposes a life-affirming philosophy that will benefit young and old alike.

The speech is consistently funny and wholly insightful. There are several highlights, but perhaps the most powerful moment comes in the conclusion, when he explains the anxiety he experienced before giving the speech:
And the Youtube comments, oooooh the world of snarky comments we've been living in. Perhaps that's the most terrifying thing of all. That what we do now is permanent. But I didn't back out, I'm here speaking to you today. And I know I will be judged by all those who care to watch on youtube, and compare, but my lesson is this: I don't give a shit!
 
Now listen up, you cannot let a fear of failure, or a fear of comparison, or a fear of judgment stop you from doing what's going to make you great. You cannot succeed without this risk of failure. You cannot have a voice with the risk of criticism. And you cannot love without the risk of loss. You must go out and you must take these risks. Everything I'm truly proud of in this life has been a terrifying prospect to me...none of it comes easy. And people will tell you to do what makes you happy. But a lot of this has been hard work. And I'm not always happy.
 
And I don't think you should do what just makes you happy, I think you should do what makes you great....
 
...you do not have to be fearless. Just don't let fear stop you.
Enjoy the rest here:


Thank you, Charlie.

For this speech, kitten mittens, and all the rest.

The cream always rises to the top.


via fanpop.com
Follow @MaximusWrestler on Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment